Recipe: Christmas RicePrep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 54 minutes | Serves: 6-8
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 20 pearl onions
- 1 ½ cups wild rice
- 5 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice
- 1 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raisin
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 ½ cups pecans, toasted and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pearl onions and sauté until light brown. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add wild rice and stir to coat all the rice with the butter. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the long grain rice and continue to simmer until the rice is tender, and liquid is almost absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the apricots, raisins, cranberries and thyme. Cover and simmer for 4 minutes longer. Stir in the pearl onions and the rest of the butter. Mix in pecans. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Food photography © Stephanie Mullins with styling by Teresa Blackburn
Excerpted with permission from “A Place at the Table” by Kelly Minter.
© 2019, B&H Publishing Group.